Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Islamic Regulation Concerning: Revert Married to Non-Muslim

Assalamualikum Everyone.

It is relatively common knowledge that it is haraam(forbidden) for a Muslim woman to marry a Non-Muslim.

However, what if the Muslim woman converted during her marriage with a Non-Muslim?

I am going to quote an answer from a knowledgeable Muslim sister I asked concerning this: From what I know is that in the beginning she could stay with him in the same house but with no marital relationship, and give him a chance to study Islam. She should approach him in a good way, meaning that she should give him dawa to Islam in the best ways possible with a lot of patience. Also she should keep on making dua for Allah SWT to open up his heart to Islam.


Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi and other knowledgeable scholars have stated of the reluctance to tell the Muslima to divorce her husband immediately after she becomes a Muslim, particularly if she has children, and her husband can be educated(through Da'wa) and accept Islam.

The following is a quote from the "Ask the Scholar" (question-and-answer) section on http://www.islamonline/:

 "-in this case, I would say that the lady should work on her husband and try to give him time to consider Islam in an attempt to embrace Islam and resume their matrimonial life. If her husband accepts Islam, then marriage is to be resumed; otherwise she has to leave him. If she stays with him then she will be committing a huge sin which might result also to the stage of Riddah (apostasy) if she gets to know the ruling and still prefers to stay with her husband.  A Muslim lady must not take this ruling lightly for its violation might cause her to lose not only her acts of worships but her faith (Iman) too, if she insists on violating the Islamic ruling regarding this.”

Read more at: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545554#ixzz0joyVumiU

To the Muslim revert who commented on this blog with her situation and concern: I advise you to, if you have not already, to approach the idea of conversion to Islam to him, letting him know that your marriage is at risk. In the meantime, cease marital relations, pray to Allah(SWT) to allow faith(in Islam) to enter his heart, and constantly(and patiently) make Da'wa to him(invite him to Islam by providing him with knowledge of Islam). I pray for Islam to enter his heart, and Insha' Allah all other readers reading this will as well. Ameen.


Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out how long the husband has to convert to Islam or else it is complusory the wife must leave him. If any have that information, please comment, including sources that you may have(specific scholar, hadith, etc).

7 comments:

  1. Asalamualaikum and THANK YOU SO MUCH

    I'm sorry to put you through any trouble, but my husband gave me a surprise on our wedding anniversary yesterday, and he has converted to Islam!

    Subhanallah!

    I have a question, does it count against me that I was previously married to a non-Muslim?

    Also, does my family have to change our names?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lesson we learn from this incident is that a wife’s patience towards her non-Muslim husband might guide his heart to Islam. So, a Muslim wife should try to give her husband some time, and invite him to Islam. However, in all case, she is not allowed to have sexual intercourse with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have an answer to Aspiring Muslima's question.

    To the extents of my knowledge, I believe that a time-limit is non-existent. However, it may not be convenient for the couple.

    I have answers to Jennifer's (Masha'Allah, by the way. May Allah (SWT) bless you and your family) questions. But since I wasn't asked, I'll leave them to Aspiring Muslima for answering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASAK
    Please feel free to answer (Jennifer's)questions if I am unable to do so as promptly as others like yourself. Of course, assuming the knowledge/information you have is reliable and correct, Insha' Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I forgot to send the greetings of peace myself.

    Wa-Alaikum-us-Salam,

    Yes, and about the time limit, please remove that, OK? I am not quite sure if that is correct, seeing as I was relying on memory. God forbid it being wrong, but just in case it is, remove it. I'll keep searching.

    Also, Jennifer, seeing as I was given permission to answer, I shall do so.

    Concerning any name change, what people take to be "Islamic names" aren't so. The preferred names for men are Abdul-(any name of Allah) or Muhammad. However, this does not necessitate a name change, as no matter what name you have, nothing will count against the name.

    The fact that you were married before to a non-Muslim shall not count against you, Insha'Allah. From what I know, you were trying to search for what to do about the issue, and (I'm not speaking on behalf of Allah [SWT]) Allah should, Insha'Allah, reward you for trying to find knowledge.

    Speaking of which, I hate how people keep arguing over the issue of Music in Islam.

    Seeing as I don't have a blog myself, Aspiring Muslima, care to explain based on Ahadeeth if music is indeed forbidden in Islam?

    Here are a few sites that I have found some info from (yes, I know, Wikipedia can be edited. <_<):

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_music#Permissibility_of_music

    http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Mansy_music.htm

    This is all I have at the moment (I had another source, but seeing as that had some ideas that I did not agree with, I left it out).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to state that if the name means something representing a declaration of disobedience towards Allah(SWT), then the revert should change their name.
    The Propeht(SAWS) told more than one of his Companions to change their names, one of them being Abu Hurayrah. His original name was "Abdul Shams", which means "slave of the sun."
    As this was most clearly against the Islamic principle of devoting sole obedience and worship to the One God, the Prophet(SAWS) changed his name to "Abdul Rahman" or "slave of the Merciful".
    Another example of a case in which the Muslim revert is obliged to change their name is of Abu Bakr(R). His original name meant "Slave of the Ka'bah." And so the Prophet(SAWS) told him to change it.
    Jennifer: I would advise you to simply research the definitions of your name and your family members' to verify of their purity.
    Some reverts, even if their names are pure, opt to change it to a name such as "Abdul Rahman", proclaiming their devotion to their religion.
    Some opt to change their names to those of the Companions of the Prophet(SAWS), or those beloved by the Blessed Prophet Muhammad(SAWS), such as "Uthman" or "Umar", or "Fatimah" and "A'ishah".

    ReplyDelete
  7. You posted on my birthday???? Sorry haven't been on lady Sheikah but your answers ARE AMAZING (like ya) <3 stay islamic!!

    ReplyDelete